Join Mandala friend and amazing Yoga teacher Catherine Ashton, as she facilitates this very important intensive.
Weekend Immersive: Times TBA
Teach To Transform Trauma is a grass roots, comprehensive three day training, certification program and Intensive that marries the emerging and developing field of traumatology with the ancient wisdom and healing of Yoga philosophy, principles and teaching to provide a powerful framework for wellness. The program and curriculum provides a comprehensive approach to trauma recovery that couples the body & mind experience providing the foundation for personal and collective healing.
Open to Yoga Teachers, Therapists & Social Workers, Nurses, community workers, medical personnel, activists, educators and anyone effected by, working with or interested in working with trauma. The training and curriculum provide a comprehensive approach to trauma recovery that couples the somatic with the cognitive experience providing the foundation for implementing an actual program which blends a more «traditional,» supportive talk group experience with that of a specially designed yet «classical» Yoga class that is trauma informed in nature.
• The nature of Trauma and the Survival & Stress Response
• The different types, prevalence and effects of traumatic stress
• Recognizing the signs and symptoms of trauma
• Current trauma theories, neurobiology and physiology
• How our story shows up in our bodies and body memories
• The relationship of shame and trauma and why the words won’t come.
• The body as the home of our emotions.
• The Chakra system as a healing framework yoking the intrinsic qualities of each chakra with childhood development, psycho-spirituality, energetic imbalances and yoga asana.
• The overlay of trauma and Yoga and how the healing happens
• The impact of trauma on the practice of & teaching Yoga
• How to create a sacred, safe, open and inclusive space
• How to create a mindful and sustainable experience which cultivates distress tolerance, resiliency building and enhanced self-regulation with present moment awareness to utilize both on and off the mat.
• Understand the basics of facilitating a focused and supportive group experience.
• Understand the distinction between and the basics of teaching both a trauma sensitive and trauma focused Yoga class and experience that is empowering and feels safe.
• How to create and teach a trauma informed class including principles of, sequencing, adjustments & language.
• How to offer weekly Yoga for Trauma Recovery classes within the community, treatment and studio settings.
Join us to help transform trauma one mat at a time. The training includes lecture and discussion, personal & experiential exercises and daily practice. The training provides 24 CEUs that fulfill Yoga Alliance requirements and that has been accepted for other professions. Students may wish to solely take this three day intensive for their own intentions or may wish to complete the additional independent study phase of certification following the intensive at no additional cost.
Emerson, David and Hopper, Elizabeth, PhD, Overcoming Trauma Through Yoga. Reclaiming Your Body (Berkeley, California, North Atlantic Books, 2011).
Levine, Waking the Tiger (Berkeley, California, North Atlantic Books, 1997).
The readings need not be completed prior to the Intensive and the comprehensive training manual will be provided and emailed to individual participants shortly before the program begins to use in electronic or paper form. Please bring a journal & and a yoga mat.Catherine Ashton, E-RYT500 is an experienced Yoga Teacher, Founder of Yoga to Transform Trauma, a professional therapist, board certified Trauma Expert, Activist & for many years, the Administrator in large mental health agencies and hospitals serving marginalized populations. Catherine currently teaches Yoga full time in the Chicagoland area, is on faculty at Moksha Yoga, and is the Director of the large teacher training program at YoUnique Yoga of NWI. Catherine facilitates & leads both foundational & advanced teacher trainings & special workshops as well as maintains a private practice dedicated to trauma recovery, wellness & mind body therapies.
Catherine’s experience is that Yoga has the ability to touch our bodies & spirit in a way and depth that words may never reach. She is committed to the practice of Yoga as well as to bringing the teachings & traditions of Yoga to others believing that the practice make us kinder, gentler & more loving people that aspire to bring peace & healing to the world around us. Catherine grew up in California, is a long standing student & teacher of yoga & draws from her studies in Clinical Psychology, and extensive experience in yoga & the mental health field to provide a holistic approach to living & working with others. For information on Catherine, yogatotransformtrauma.org.
The cost for this special training is $400, discount applies for those with current Mandala membership.