Class dates: 6 Fridays: 9/1, 9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 9/29, 10/6
Single Classes: $30
Series discount: $160 for all classes
(Enter $160 as the total when the Pay Now message appears. You can also just send a payment to PayPal ([email protected]
) for $160 with this class noted in the comments, and I will add you to all six classes. For other payment options, email me at the address above or comment below).
This class series is devoted to the art and science of medicine-making. In the course of this series, students will become adept at making and using all of the most common herbal medicines, and understand the benefits and drawbacks of each.
At the end of the course, students will have created an extensive apothecary of herbal medicines, and will gain the ability to create many more. We will make medicines for each class, you'll have the opportunity to try many variations, you will take home samples, and extensive class notes and recipes to create them at home.
Classes for this series:
1. The Universal Solvent: Water Infusions. Water extracts of herbs as teas, baths, compresses, washes. Formulation basics. Attendees receive a tea blend, a root blend for soups, and a bath blend created in class.
2. The Joy of Tinctures: How to create clinical-strength, alcohol-based herbal extracts, how to use. Attendees receive a 1 ounce single herb tincture.
3. Food-Based Solvents: Vinegar and Honey extractions, together and separately. Making of honey herb syrups, acetums, oxymels and other archaic and lovely medicines. Attendees receive a syrup or electuary blend created in class.
4. The Art of Elixirs: Letting go of the science-based method of tincture making and embracing the wild and exceptionally fine method of blending delicious medicinal elixirs. Attendees receive a 1 ounce elixir blend.
5. Feeding The Skin: Making infused oils and healing skin balms. Attendees receive an infused oil and a skin balm created in class.
6. Kitchen Medicine: Herbs as healing foods. Sampling of many delicious healing foods, recipes for use of common herbs and spices from the pantry and farmer's market. Attendees pig out on delicious herbal treats, and make and take some home to share.
Requires payment to RSVP, or prior arrangement with me.
About the teacher:
Julie James is the director of Green Wisdom School of Herbal Studies in Long Beach, and has been practicing and teaching about herbalism for over 30 years. She has taught at conferences throughout the country and for a variety of Southern California organizations. Her classes are based equally on science, tradition and deeplove and respect for the plants. See her website at GreenWisdomHerbalStudies.com for more information.